It turns out the crime situation in New Orleans wasn’t as dire as initial reports seemed to indicate.
In an interview last week with The New York Times, Superintendent Compass said that some of his most shocking statements turned out to be untrue. Asked about reports of rapes and murders, he said: “We have no official reports to document any murder. Not one official report of rape or sexual assault.”
On Sept. 4, however, he was quoted in The Times about conditions at the convention center, saying: “The tourists are walking around there, and as soon as these individuals see them, they’re being preyed upon. They are beating, they are raping them in the streets.”
Those comments, Superintendent Compass now says, were based on secondhand reports. The tourists “were walking with their suitcases, and they would have their clothes and things taken,” he said last week. “No rapes that we can quantify.”
During six days when the Superdome was used as a shelter, the head of the New Orleans Police Department’s sex crimes unit, Lt. David Benelli, said he and his officers lived inside the dome and ran down every rumor of rape or atrocity. In the end, they made two arrests for attempted sexual assault, and concluded that the other attacks had not happened.
“I think it was urban myth,” said Lieutenant Benelli, who also heads the police union. “Any time you put 25,000 people under one roof, with no running water, no electricity and no information, stories get told.”
This had to be embarrassing:
A contingent of National Guard troops was sent to rescue a St. Bernard Parish deputy sheriff who radioed for help, saying he was pinned down by a sniper. Accompanied by a SWAT team, the troops surrounded the area. The shots turned out to be the relief valve on a gas tank that popped open every few minutes, said Maj. Gen. Ron Mason of the 35th Infantry Division of the Kansas National Guard.